East Hants & Area Community Rider is focused on giving people access to transportation. To do so, we offer services based around the needs of each passenger.
- Door-to-door service
- Wheelchair accessible service
- Disability-friendly service
- Seniors service
- Group service
- Family service
Our services are open to anyone. Whether you need us for one drive or a regularly scheduled run, we are a service that operates for the benefit of everyone in the community. Our vans can hold up to 8 passengers or 4 passengers in wheelchairs.
Booking a ride is simple. We’ll ask you a few questions to get you started:
- Who are you?
- Where do you live?
- What is your destination?
- When do you need to be there by?
- How long do you think your appointment will take?
- Do you need the driver to wait for you?
- Do you need assistance from the driver to get you from the vehicle to the door?
- Do you need an accessible vehicle?
- Do you have any special equipment or requests?
Please book your ride at least 24 hours in advance. Our service is first come, first serve, so book early!
To book a ride, please contact us by phone or e-mail:
Q: How do you determine your rates?
A: We charge per person, per one-way ride:
- 70¢ per kilometer
- $8.40 per minimum ride
- $12.50 per hour wait time (charged in 15-minute slots)
- Parking and bridge tolls will also be charged as necessary
Q: How many vehicles do you have?
A: We have 5 vehicles: 3 wheelchair accessible vans and 2 sedan-style cars. Each of our vehicles is named. Capacities are as follows:
- Roada Rider, Ram Pro-Master, 8 passengers
- Our Gem, Ram Pro-Master, 8 passengers
- Henry Ford, Ford Transit, 7 passengers
- Lancelot, Mitsubishi Lancer, 4 passengers
- Tom Cruze, Chevrolet Cruze, 4 passengers
Q: Do you transport children?
A: Yes, we regularly transport children to and from pre-school, school and after-school programs. We have some car seats, but encourage you to call to confirm availability.
Q: Where does your funding come from?
A: We receive funding from a range of sources, including:
- East Hants Municipality
- Halifax Transit
- Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage
- Department of Municipal Affairs
- Department of Seniors
Q: What can I do to help?
A: We appreciate any support from our community. There are a number of ways you can help the Community Rider:
- Become a Corporate Member
- Apply as a Driver
- Follow us on Facebook and share our posts
- Subscribe to our Newsletter, the Door to Door Reader
The East Hants & Area Community Rider is a charitable service run by the East Hants Community Learning Association. We rely on donations big and small to keep our fares affordable to everyone who needs access to transportation. Larger donations can also help us purchase new vehicles, grow our fleet and provide greater access to transportation in the community.
If you are interested in donating, please click on the link: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/dn/19070